Saturday, March 3, 2007

food, jobs and safety.

First, it has come to my attention that I need to clarify the professional dress example. The teacher was making a point that what you wear in your personal time is your business but that what you wear while you are at work is extremely important. He was pointing out that he doubts I wear my uniform out on the town. He did a good job of painting the picture for everyone. Just to prove him wrong I'm going to hit the town in my standard issue blue-on-blue ensemble. I've got five shirts - anyone want to join me?

So I've finished my first week. It's been interesting and boring at the same time. Anyone who has ever started a new job or school most likely knows what I mean. Often the first week is the slowest. We haven't covered much of anything that concerns the mechanisms of an automobile. We have however covered safety, mapped out all the locations of the fire extinguishers and first aid stations, raided the coffee machine in the lunchroom, and prepared our goals for the next ten years. There were plenty of times I wanted to put my pen in my eye to dull the pain of class.

I have come to realize that I'm going to have to develop a rap about why I'm going to school. Unlike most people I don't have a PASSION for cars. My reasons for starting tech school amount to more of a hunch or experiment. I've changed the oil on a car once in my life. This hardly qualifies me as an automotive mechanic. THIS is why I'm going to SCHOOL. I'm having a hard time with the personal nature of the question "why are you here?" It's a common question, but I'm beginning to think it's a little too invasive. People that ask me this don't know me yet want to understand my deep personal reasoning. They then pass judgement when the don't hear the answer they think I should give. I need a story.

We covered OSHA and EPA guidelines this week. They teacher expanded on the importance of following the rules. It was apparent that the majority of class thinks rules are made to be broken. About a month ago a close friend of mine gave me an article that addressed the issues of machismo in the workplace. The author of the article is a female working in a male-dominated union shop in NYC. She deals with the attitude that safety rules are for sissies on a regular basis. Most people don't realize so many of the rules came out of years of struggle. Prior to regulations protecting the safety of workers and our environment, companies treated them as disposable. Why worry about safety when there are no consequences for your actions? Safety goggles - how many eyes were lost before they were required or available?

Speaking of a feminist perspective. The teacher made a suggestion for those wanting to own their own shop: Put everything in your wife's name. Women-owned businesses are not in abundance, so often there are special grants and loans for minority owned businesses. Response from white guy: "That's bullshit sexism!!!!" Sigh.

I'm on the job hunt. Without any experience, my opportunities are limited. I will probably end up at a dealership washing cars, running errands and shovelling snow. In the long term my options are vast. I can work on any car out there, work in Antarctica, fix tour buses for band on the road...sky is the limit. check this out...oh, to be pit crew for them....intense....don't forget to look at their winner's circle photo album

Recipe of the week:

JAILHOUSE BURRITO
Prep time: 3 minutes Total cooking time: 33-63 minutes

1 bag of chips, Chili flavor preferable
package of ramen noodles
1 cup hot water
miscellaneous meat product, whatever is on hand

Empty bag of chips, setting content aside. Save the bag. Pour half of the chips, ramen, water, and meat into bag. Mush up. Roll bag closed tightly. Place the package under mattress or other object that can provide pressure. Leave for 30-60 minutes. Remove from under mattress, cut top of the bag. Remove log of food. Enjoy!

Yummy in my tummy!

Next week we tackle math. We will be covering decimals and fractions for two days. For a girl that once majored in engineering and mastered Calculus 1,2, and 3, Differential Equations, and Linear Algebra this should be good times. It will take all my strength to not put my pen into my eye. Wish me luck.