Saturday, March 10, 2007

Terminology.

Real quick, before the glossary lesson, I had a great interview yesterday with a service manager at another domestic dealership. The drive is far and the pay is crap, but I got a great vibe from the guy and think it would be a good place to get my feet wet. Hopefully I'll hear something back early next week. I'm feeling better.

Now for a little commonly used terms:

Lube tech - not to be confused with specializing in the application in sexual lubes, this tech changes the oil on the car. It's the next step up the ladder from lot attendant. Get your mind out of the gutter people.

Wrenching - doing the work of a mechanic on cars for a living. Since there are a million job opportunities out there for auto techs they refer to the actual on-the-line shop job as "wrenching." Example: I was only wrenching for 10 years before I moved into running training for BMW. Sometimes I miss working in a shop everyday.

Drug test, piss test, random drug test, hair follicle drug test - Most places require regular drug tests. A lot of them even require a hair follicle for you to get the job. This includes even your neighborhood Goodyear. Kinda hyper-vigilant on the anti drugs, but I guess insurance for places is out of this world and making sure shops have a drug free environment helps to bring premiums down. I have to supply one for the place I interviewed yesterday. I was honest with the guy - I've used drugs a little in the last six months. I've never been that into it. He seemed cool with that. message here: don't do drugs, period. Even school has random drug testing....