Friday, April 20, 2007

2 out of 3.

I am 66.67% done with my first class in automotive school in Portland. It's been an amazing change from the overly dramatic, extremely expensive, overly glorified tech school I was in back in Colorado. The class is well organized and, rather than spending time talking about resume techniques and the intricacies of getting a job when you don't have a license and tried to commit murder, we actually talk about the basics of cars. I think the kids in the class are smarter too. I haven't seen them struggle with the basics as much and there isn't a struggle when it comes to getting the work done. People just do it. The teacher is friendly and TEACHES rather than let powerpoint teach for him (I personally think powerpoint needs to become obsolete. I have never seen a presentation done with it where I felt enlightened at the end. Bring back the days of slides and/or overheads). I learned how to how actually use a micrometer. If anyone needs some precision measuring done, I'm your gal. Need to end that argument about who's hair is thicker than who's? Call me up. I'll end that squabble in an instant.

Today we started on the "block project." This is where we tap out holes for fasteners (ie. for all you non-automotive students: bolts, screws, etc), cut out pieces, and re-thread holes in a chunk of aluminum. It's like my entry architecture studio where we learned how to use the wood shop. Lessons on tools. Cool. The coolest thing we've done is over-torque (ie. tighten it down too much) a bolt to the point of breaking it or stripping it. I actually didn't break mine. Instead I torqued it too slowly and destroyed the washer under the nut. The washer "squished" under the nut so much that I couldn't get the socket around the nut anymore. It was a good lesson - be less timid. I needed to just go for it and the break the damn thing. I did get to use an air hammer to break another bolt that someone had stripped out. power tools....fun....hehe.

After taking advice from mechanics and non-mechanics, I made a decision about tools. I'm making the big purchase tomorrow. The winner.....drum-roll please......snap-on. One thing that did cross my mind, but not necessarily the biggest reason I'm going with snap-on, is that they come with a reputation. The reputation that you care about working on cars and want the best tools possible. With all the factors going against me, buying tools that show people I'm serious about this profession could be a serious advantage. Is it worth the money? Hard to say right now...I'm mostly sure they will be.

I took the physical and drug test for my new job today. I will be working for a major tire company doing small maintenance jobs and, most importantly, getting experience. I was told my pay scale last week. I hadn't thought much about it until later. They offered me flat rate. For those that don't know, flat rate is when you are paid for a flat amount of time for a job you are doing no matter how long it takes you. A brake job is supposed to take you X amount of time. If it takes you less then you can move on to your next job. With this you can get paid for more than the number of hours you actually are there. Or the opposite of that is that you can lose money by being there longer than the job is supposed to take you. I think it's great that your pay is in your hands to some degree. If you are fast and accurate you can make more money. For a "green" tech like myself, flat rate should be avoided. I won't know enough to be able to make any money. It sets me up for failure. I talked it out at the corporate office when I did my paperwork today. I'm now hourly. Phew.

Just to be safe, I've been filling out more applications at other places. I want to make sure I have options if I need to bail out of tire-company gig. I laugh at myself sometimes. Almost two years ago I sold my car and used a bike as my main mode of transportation for seven months till I had to buy one for my job. Now look at me...I put in an application at the Cadillac/Hummer dealership. The thought of working under a gigantic Escalade or Hummer is ironic. Sometimes that the way the world spins I guess.