Tuesday, February 27, 2007

entering a new dimension.

School.

This time around it is completely opposite from any schooling I have had before. I'm used to a severely competitive, overly pompous education. Automotive schooling (even the private kind) has an "everyone can do it" attitude. The class is a mix of ages (not so much gender diversity) and experience level.

How about I recap some memorable moments from the last two days....

So I always sit in the back of the class when I'm in a new situation where I'm uncomfortable and don't know anyone. I like to scope out the scene before I make a move that will make me stand out. I already stand out since I'm one of the only females. Did I mention that I'm the only one with a college degree in the class? Standing out like a big sore thumb. Anyways. The teacher walked in and announced that all the people that sat in the back of the room in the last class got 'F's. OK. So I'm starting this class out just right. Everyone goes around the room and states their reasons for being there. I was moved the most by the two men who were laid off from their job of 20+ years. Jobs moved overseas. One man has to be 50+ easy. Amazing they are taking on a new venture like 1 1/2 years of training! I'm their biggest fan!

It became abundantly obvious that a lot of the people in the class have had a few run-ins with the law. This little innocent lady has barely had speeding tickets. Hardly anything compared to the guys who have been in prison for a few years. Eek. I had never met anyone who had been to prison before.

I'm innocent. What can I say...

Today one guy asked if his record would be a problem. He said that the charge was possessions and that it was pleaded down from attempted murder. Hmmm....

EEK!

So I'm definitely in a little bit of culture shock. A big "Kick Ass!" for these guys for starting over. Especially the ones that don't have a license. Ummm. It's kind of a necessity in AUTOMOTIVE school.

The content of the classes is a little dry so far. Resume building, telephone skills, attendance policies, etc. AND lots of really dumb questions. Patience. It's my new best friend. I'm sure I'll get smoked in something down the road....Gotta watch my karma I guess.

The uniforms are bad. Really bad. There is almost no such thing as women's work pant. I have no need for a really long crotch in the standard men's pants. I'm not packing....maybe I should be????

One last thing, then I'll stop my ramblings. I've learned that the word "chicken" is the new catch phrase. Replace in the following manner: "That's money!" v. "That's chicken!" Get down with that new hip lingo! Hehe!

ps. the career lady said most shops are union....good stuff.